Sunday, August 27, 2017

SciFi/Fantasy Novella Review: Hammers on Bone by Cassandra Khaw

(Novella can be found here: https://www.amazon.com/Hammers-Bone-Persons-Non-Grata/dp/0765392712)

Hammers on Bone is the first in a novella series in which Cthulhu-esque monsters are livingamong and in humans, with at least this first book told in a stereotypical noir style.  Seriously - it is REALLY channeling noir conventions - our hero, John Persons, is a private investigator, hired by a child to kill his stepdad.  There's just two twists: one, the Stepdad is a literal monster wearing human skin, and two: well, so is Persons to a lesser extent.  And like any classical noir story, there's also a "Dame" whose good nature may be less than it seems on first glance.



The Novella is fine - if you like Noir stories, I can see you really liking this one.  As I think I've stated previously when I've reviewed "Half-Resurrection Blues" and maybe other books, I guess I'm not really that into classical noir unless it does something really unique.  And well, I don't think this really does it, even throwing the monsters in there.  I may try the second in the series which comes out this week cuz the Library will have it in ebook, but eh, i don't know, I guess this isn't really for me even if it's a solid story.

No comments:

Post a Comment