Friday, July 3, 2020

SciFi/Fantasy Book Club: Book of the Month for July! - Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia




Okay I'm trying something new - a monthly book club!  As anyone who reads me on twitter or this blog knows, I read a ton of novels (and shorter fiction as well to a lesser extent) and love to talk about them online.  Of course, I don't tend to read the most popular novels - almost certainly because I try to read a wider diverse selection of books - which often leaves me with an issue of lacking people to talk about these books with.

So as I promised on twitter this week, I'm going to try and solve that by starting a book club on this blog.  Here's how it works (basically like any other book club) - I'm going to pick a book that I haven't read yet for each month (in this case July), for any others who are willing to pick up and read along with me.  I'll make another post mid-July to talk about the first half of the book and then a third post at the end of the month to discuss the book overall, with all the talk happening in the comment section.

The goal is to highlight books from a diverse set of authors, dealing with interesting themes and which aren't necessarily likely to hit the bestseller lists.  I also want to hit a wide variety of types of SF/F subgenres, since the scope of genre is very very large.

Anyhow, this month we're going to start with a very recent release: Silvia Moreno-Garcia's "Mexican Gothic"!  This book (A B&N link to it can be found HERE) came out on June 30th (just this past week) and is apparently a gothic fantasy horror novel.  Moreno-Garcia is a Mexican-Canadian author, whose work I have really enjoyed whether it follows vampires in a dystopian future Mexico, Aztec Death gods cerca 1900, or a man and two women in a romance story with mild fantasy elements, or something else.  These works tend to be really interesting in both themes and characters, and tend to take turns I did not expect, so I'm excited to see how she'll take the Gothic Horror genre.

Again around July 15 I'll post an update with my thoughts halfway through the book, and with space for people to comment and then at the end of the month we'll do the same with the full book.  It's very much a short novel, so I expect people should have no problem finishing it in a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment